Jump to recipe
Some of you might know I can’t have dairy, this hasn’t been the case all my life which is both weird and frustrating! It started around 12 year old and since I have had to watch what I can eat! I’m always looking for new ideas and foods that I can enjoy without having to worry, which is why I created this simple and easy vegan mac and cheese recipe!
I used to eat so much mac and cheese when I was younger and then one day I stopped, I couldn’t eat it any longer and I can’t even remember the last time I had some. I’ve had the biggest craving for mac and cheese this month and I’ve decided it’s time to give in and make my very own, the fact that it’s vegan means pretty much everyone can enjoy it!
At the same time I’ve seen loads of complicated recipes out there, recipes with 100 steps that no one wants to follow. I decided to make mine a little more refined, easy and all together simple. Don’t break your back for vegan mac and cheese! The only problem is the amount of dishes you’re left with, that’s why I thankfully have a dishwasher!
Now I have to point out that vegan cheese is a little weird, it’s got a strong taste and smell to it that not everyone is going to like. You can find recipes out there that don’t use any cheese but they just seem so difficult and are made up of several thousand ingredients!
I hope you enjoy this super yummy vegan mac and cheese, I know we did! It’s been one of our favourites ever since I first made it and remember you can always add little bits to it like I did with peppers! I’ve heard people love to add onions into the mix and even cherry tomatoes, as long as it’s vegan and fits with the recipe then give it a try! Also this recipe easily feeds four people even if you like big portions! Although if you want even more then just double it up!
- 350g Gluten free dried macaroni
- Garlic sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 litre unsweetened organic soya milk
- 100g dairy-free margarine
- 85g Gluten free plain flour
- 200g vegan cheese, half for mixture and half for topping.
- 40g Gluten free fresh breadcrumbs
- Tin foil
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions in a large pan boiling water, add some garlic salt.
- Peel and halve the onion, then place in a small pan over a medium heat with the milk. Slowly bring to the boil, then remove from the heat. Pick out and bin the onion, then put aside. Melt the margarine in another pan over a medium heat, then add the flour, stirring continuously until it forms a paste (roux). Gradually add the warm milk a little at a time, whisking continuously until smooth. Bring to the boil, then simmer for around 10 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in 100g vegan cheese , then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drain and add the macaroni to the sauce. Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof baking dish, mix together bread crumbs and the remaining cheese and sprinkle on top covering evenly. Wrap the dish in tin foil so the sauce does not dry out.
- Place the dish in the pre heated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden. Leave to stand for around 5 minutes, then serve alone or with a side dish of your choice.
If you loved this recipe don’t forget to pin it for later!